There are many signs that indicate your boiler may require servicing. It’s a good idea to check on your appliances as part of a regular routine and monitor for any of these issues that are indicators that it’s time to schedule a repair:
- Cold home or business: If your home or business takes a long time to heat up, or stops warming up entirely, it’s time for an inspection right away to get the boiler back in operation.
- Leaks: Any water or other chemicals leaking from your boiler is a sure sign that the appliance needs to be tuned up. Improper installations or excessive wear can cause leaks over time, a thorough inspection to determine the cause is recommended.
- Loud Noises: Boilers typically operate relatively quietly. Frequent banging or whirring noises can be a sign that a pump or fan needs to be replaced. Whistling or gurgling noises could indicate that the water pressure is too low, or it might be a sign of kettling. This is when particles become trapped in the boiler and can lead to malfunctions.
- Unusual smells: A faint unpleasant scent is a common indicator of a carbon monoxide leak. A carbon monoxide leak compromises your boiler and poses a serious health risk. Anyone inside the building should be evacuated if your boiler is emitting carbon monoxide.
- Higher heating bills: Your heating costs may creep up over time with an inefficient boiler. Scheduling a visit with the 180 Plumbing & Heating team is a good place to start. If your boiler is older than 15 years, replacing it with a newer, more energy-efficient boiler will help you reduce your heating expenses.